Monday, August 3, 2009

Music

Imagine with me if you will, a conductor is given a magnificent new symphony. It’s a special symphony, hand-crafted by the composer just for him. At first he learns all the parts on his own, preparing for auditions. He begins to surround himself with the right musicians for the piece, slowly growing his ensemble. As more members join to fulfill the vision of this huge stroke of musical genius, the best of each section become section leaders earning the rank of first chair. Each musician, according to his or her level of expertise, is given a part to play. As the individuals learn their parts and join in the rehearsal, a sweet sound begins to emerge. Layer upon layer of chords and runs that have never been so beautifully interlaid begin to crescendo and grow until the music that is heard begins to come alive. The Conductor, baton in hand, begins to make adjustments. As he begins to move the musicians that have come into the right sections and work on pitch and timing, the sounds get clearer, crisper... and what started on a piece of paper given to the conductor alone, has now become an awe-inspiring passion for a group of musicians. Musicians striving to convert their conductors vision out through the ends of there instruments into the hearts of those who would come to experience this song.

Perhaps you’ve already guessed where I’m going with this. We are a group of musicians, who have been given a conductor. You might call him Pastor or Reverend. He was sent to your church by the composer, the Almighty Father, to lead your orchestra, your church, into a beautiful song written for you to share with your community and the world. Every song is different, but it conveys the same message, the life changing story of a Father who sent his son to save the world, a community, a person.

My hope is that through this experience you might see that your church has one conductor who has been given a vision from the composer. Everyone else is a musician who must play their part and learn to play it well. We must let him and the section leaders he has chosen, help to find the place where our sound fits best and plug into the greatest song ever played.

My parents are my heros. I learn so much from them and thank God for putting such an amazing example in my life. For as long as I can remember, they had been children’s pastors at our local church in a small town in Kansas. After serving faithfully for longer than I’ve been alive, God gave them a different direction as they plan for retirement and look to spend more time with their grandchildren. When asked how they would cope with not being children’s pastors any longer, my dad said the most profound thing. “I’m not a children’s pastor. I’m in the ministry of helps. There was a need and we filled it.” Truth be told, my parents didn’t just minister to children, they cleaned toilets, they fixed leaky roofs, they made chili for outreaches. They were just musicians in a small ensemble that was tuned into the vision of a conductor, and their song is one of the sweetest I’ve ever heard.

6 comments:

  1. Wil, this is plain awesome. You're right about it all, especially your folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wil, my sweet little nephew, you have grown into a loving, kind, thoughtful and inspiring adult. I am so proud of you. You have brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. What a wonderful man you have become and a great father you will be.
    Mitzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making us all cry! When I read this at the hospital it was too much to process in the middle of the really big things we were involved in there. Dad said he got a look at some different chapter titles. I'm totally excited about the Lord has put in your heart. God told me many years ago that there would come a time when my children would teach me. I'm excited to see that coming to pass! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a great book, your writing style is what I enjoy reading. Way to go.
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you trying to win another Taylor from Dad or what? Very nice. It's amazing how much having a child of your own makes you appreciate your parents, huh?
    Mand

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is good stuff! keep up the good work... great illustration to bring home the point.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete